Lorne Street Improvements
PROJECT UPDATE FOR JUNE 24
Please be advised that starting Monday, June 27 at 7:00 am:
- 7th Avenue will be closed just south of the railway tracks.
- 8th Avenue will be reopened to traffic travelling to and from Pioneer Park, the Tennis Club, Front Street residences (Pioneer Park Strata, 710 Front Street), and Lorne Street residences located between the Red Bridge and 7th Ave.
- Lorne Street will be closed to all traffic just east of the Red Bridge (Mt Paul Way).
- Access to Buzz’s Autobody and Silver Servers will continue to be via 10th Avenue.
This traffic change will be in place until further notice as crews continue work on the gravity main and start sewer and water work moving east on Lorne Street near 7th Avenue.
We understand the significant impact that this project has on residents and businesses within the construction zone, as well as users of Pioneer Park and the Tennis Club. We have been working to mitigate this impact as much as possible with the following measures:
- Signage and barricades are in place (“Road Closed, Local Traffic Only”);
- We are monitoring the barricades when the crew is not on site and reinstalling them as often as possible. (Please note that the barricades must be removable in the case of emergency access);
- We are monitoring the dust conditions and watering the site as often as possible to control the dust levels;
- A speed reader board is in place on Lorne Street between 8th Avenue and 10th Avenue to educate/inform drivers of their speeds through the 30 km/hr construction zone;
- Message boards are in place west of the Red Bridge and on 10th Avenue to inform motorists of road closures.
We thank you for your patience and understanding as we progress with the Lorne Street Reconstruction project.
The City of Kamloops has contracted Extreme Excavating Ltd to carry out upgrades along Lorne Street between Mt Paul Way and 10th Avenue. We are advising residents in the area that this work is scheduled to begin May 9, weather depending, and includes the following work:
- installation of a new water main;
- twinning of existing sanitary forcemain;
- surface improvements including a sidewalk and new asphalt;
- installation of barrier curb and gutter; and
- pavement markings.
Lorne Street between 7th Avenue and 10th Avenue will be closed with the exception of local traffic. Between Mt Paul Way and 8th Avenue, expect intermittent closures and/or single lane traffic.
Effective at 7:00 am on May 25, 8th Avenue will be closed to traffic.
The intersection of Lorne Street and 10th Avenue will be reduced to one lane in each direction during resurfacing work.
Access to Pioneer Park, the boat launch and the Tennis Club will be maintained via 7th Avenue.
Please obey all traffic control personnel and signage when driving in the vicinity of the construction.
Throughout the construction period, vibratory compaction equipment will be in use; therefore, any fragile items should be packaged or protected from damage due to vibration. There may also be noise disruption due to equipment on site. Garbage collection will not be affected.
HOURS OF WORK
Work will begin on May 9 and is expected to be complete by the end of September. Construction is scheduled to occur Monday–Friday, 7:00 am–5:00 pm. Some evening or weekend work may be required.