Residential Suites Update - June 27
Proposed Zoning Bylaw amendments to allow secondary suites and garden suites as a permitted use on single-family lots in more urban residential areas of the city passed third reading following a Public Hearing at the Valley First Lounge at Sandman Centre on June 25. A Business Licence and Regulation Bylaw amendment to require a business licence for single-family homes with suites that are not owner-occupied was also considered.
The following outlines the next steps in the process:
- Zoning Bylaw and Business Licence and Regulation Bylaw amendments: Pending approval of the Zoning Bylaw amendments from the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, these bylaw amendments will return to Council for adoption.
- Residential Suite Enforcement Policy: Intended to provide clarity on the City's approach to unauthorized or problem residential suites, Council will consider an updated version of this Council Policy.
- Awareness Campaign: Residents will be informed of the zoning changes via social channels and news media as well as the Let's Talk platform.
- Guide to Residential Suites: The City will release a user-friendly guide that includes building requirements, zoning regulations, development guidelines, and a summary of the municipal permitting and approvals process (late summer 2019).
- Suite Registry Map and App: City staff will develop an app with an interactive map that will allow homeowners with legal suites to stand out in the marketplace while offering prospective tenants the ability to identify safe, legal suites to rent (fall 2019).